The Effects of Car Insurance to Your Accident Claim
As most of us know, car insurance policies are vital instruments in recovering for damages in car accident claims. Injuries sustained in accidents are often shouldered by insurance companies based on the coverage policies of their clients.
In California, the minimum liability insurance required for private passenger is:
- $15,000 for injury or death of one person
- $30,000 for injury or death of more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
However, most people buy more coverage than the minimum coverage and an insurer may recommend coverage in different ranges.
How important is car insurance to a car owner or operator?
Car insurance is indispensable not only in times when a police officer appears and you are pulled over, asking you to show proof of liability insurance. Naturally, you can be fined with not less than $ 500 (with possible courts costs and your car can be impounded) if you cannot produce one, but most importantly, your insurance coverage could help you recover some losses during an accident.
According to Bureau of Transportation statistics, car accident insurance settlement cases are the most prolific type of insurance settlement negotiated for personal injury claims. This is because about 5 million motor vehicle accidents occur in the country every year with approximately 2 million people injured and 20, 000 fatalities, making motor vehicle accidents as one of the leading causes of death and serious injury for most people.
If you have suffered losses in an accident, an auto accident insurance settlement can compensate you for your damages. In this way, it is possible to receive reparations for related medical expenses, loss of wages or earning potential, pain and suffering, and property damages through settlement.
Insurance claims adjusters will often look for ways to provide compensation for your accident damages and with the help of a skilled lawyer you can obtain the rightful claim for your injuries.
Although settlement awards are only given in accident cases where no serious property or bodily injuries are incurred, it is possible to get settlements in most car accident situations.
When an automobile accident occurs, a victim can take several options to protect and maximize his interests, which a lawyer alone can do. During the process, a claims adjuster will examine the facts of the case in order to determine liability and the extent of damages that were incurred during the accident.
If it is determined that you were at least partially at fault in the accident you may not be eligible for compensation through an auto accident insurance settlement. Therefore, it may be advantageous to consult with a lawyer who can determine your rights and options during an accident.
Here are several ways on how to maximize the use of your car insurance coverage and make use of its benefits during an accident:
- Check your policy carefully on each renewal to make sure that all licensed operators of your vehicle are listed and shown on the policy.
- Make your monthly payments on your auto insurance policy. Cancellations for non-payment can have long-reaching implications and are very costly.
- Make a truthful record of vital information about your car – such as age, condition, wear and tear – in your auto insurance claim.
- Keep the original bill of sale and have written on it the actual mileage of the vehicle at the time of installation by the tire installer.
- Check your policy annually to make sure that your personal information and your vehicle’s information is correctly listed (marriage status, age, commute distance, driving record, and home address all affect your insurance costs). Make sure you are properly rated according to your present circumstances.