What to Do and to Avoid in Pursuing Car Accident Claims in California
With the crowded roadways in California, it is not surprising that car accidents continue to occur and life-devastating injuries continue to bring much suffering to the victims and their families. As a further result, a large number of claims are being filed in courts or insurance companies to recover suitable compensations.
However, most injured individuals do not completely understand how to pursue their accident claims. This article will lay down some of the most important matters that a claimant should and should not do in pursuing their car accident claims. Yet, it is still best to consult a competent California car accident claims attorney for further advice and representation.
After sustaining injuries in a car collision, it is inevitable for you to deal with people involved in the accident such as your insurance company or their agents and even the party liable for your sufferings. Therefore, you will need to know what things to perform and to avoid in filing your insurance claim or dealing with the insurance adjusters.
What to do
- Contact your insurance company immediately after the car accident. If you are not capable of doing so due to your injuries, let your family, or more advisable your attorney, do it for you.
- Be sure that you have read and fully understood your insurance policy. Let your attorney explain the coverage of your policy and arrange the necessary car accident claim as soon as possible
- With the help of your attorney, try your best to recall the details of your accident involvement. You may take pictures of the damages on your car and the injuries that you have incurred.
It would also be nice if you have taken the names and contact details of other people who have witnessed the accident for their testimonies in the future.
- List down the other parties’ insurance details including their vehicle insurance
- Always document your transactions with the insurance companies
- Keep all the receipts of all your expenses in connection with your injuries sustained and even your vehicle repair. These may also include your hospital bills, medicines and medical examinations.
- Be truthful to your answers to the questions that would be raised by insurance investigators. You must understand that many claims have been denied in the past because of fraudulent acts.
In anyway, your car accident claims attorney will teach you how to respond properly.
- Review your other insurance policies that may also cover the type of your accident for additional claims to be filed.
What to avoid
- Even if you think that you are liable for the accident, never ever accept it. Asserting your liability will definitely affect the result of your claim. It is the job of the insurance investigators to gather accident facts in determining liability.
- Never sign any document that the insurance agent will give you without consulting your attorney especially if you do not understand what is written.
- File your claim before the time limit expires. The limit should be specified in your policy.
- Do not just believe with the calculation of your insurance company. Ask your California car accident claims attorney for his evaluation. More often, these companies will offer the least amount of assistance.