Lowering Fatal Car Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Fatal Car Accident Statistics reach around 43,000 on the average. Aside from this figure, more than a couple of million people are also injured from these tragic vehicular accidents.
Preventing Car Accidents
Many has been said and done regarding the issue of lowering car accident rates in the nation. But still, an increasing number of families continue to grieve the loss of their loved ones because of motor vehicle crashes.
If only the following precautions would be taken seriously by each motorist, then surely, fatal car accident statistics would greatly deplete.
- Check the vehicle before travelling. We can never be too safe. Even if we are cautious in driving, we can still cause an accident by being negligent in keeping our vehicles in good working condition.
We must make sure that breaks, tires, and other parts are working accordingly before we go on long trips and travel on highways where we can cause danger to other motorists.
- Maintain speed limit. Going beyond or below the allowable speed in a particular road may cause a vehicular collision. So, we must keep a steady speed and avoid sudden speeding or slowing.
- Keep a safe distance. It is important for a driver to understand the need to keep a considerable amount of distance from other vehicles. This would prevent chain accidents and collisions if there would be a sudden increase or decrease in speed.
- Follow traffic rules. Some still move forward even if they see the stop light and so they hit approaching vehicles from the other side. Basic road rules should be kept in mind and followed at all times in order to avoid accidents.
- Be cautious in making turns. Many lose control when they make a turn or approach a curb. Drivers should always be alert and have presence of mind so that they wouldn’t panic in case they are confronted with glitches.
- Do not over estimate driving skills. Many commit acts of negligence when driving as they are complacent that nothing will go wrong. Drivers must still consider other dangers that might confront them even if they are being careful.
Factors in Collisions
In many noted cases, cautious drivers still get involved in accidents. They are in danger of the following habits or conditions that should be attended to immediately.
- Drunk driving. More and more cases of intoxicated drivers who caused accidents are reported. We should never take the chance to drive especially if we know we had too much to drink.
- Poor road conditions. Unmarked excavations and holes on roads can lead to an unintended accident. Concerned parties should make it a point to cover them or warn the public of the approaching road condition.
- Use of phones. Many greatly rely on phones to keep them in touch with people who needs them or who they might need. But when driving, we should avoid using phones as this could cause a dangerous distraction.
Also, there is a law which prohibits a driver from talking, texting, or using his cell phone in any way while on the road.
- Driver’s fatigue. Drivers must make sure to be properly rested before going on long trips so that they would not fall asleep while driving. Tired drivers also have the option to stay on the shoulder lane to rest.